Saturday, February 13, 2021

 Old and New to Share

Angela L.P. has sent us the following combination of "new" that she has made and "old" made by her Gram.

Angela said "The bed scarf is placed over some pillows so I could photograph it in landscape mode. The quilt under it was made by my grandmother and given to me in 1980.  All her templates were from food boxes. She quilted on a frame in her living room. 

Instructions for the bed scarf at from Stitch From The Heart.  There is a snail in the fern with the tulips. It’s a fun piece to make with the scale differences all telling their story .

Then there’s my cow, Kathy named it Moo. A Tilda design. With any luck I’ll have another creature done today."







These are just the cutest!  Great work, Angela.  Can't wait to see the next one. The quilt made by your grandmother sure is a keeper to be treasured.


I remember my mother saving select pieces of cardboard for quilt templates.  As a teenager I'd help her by carefully tracing around them for her to cut. Does anyone remember the name of the farm paper that used to come that had a large classified ads section?  You could buy livestock, machinery, and even find a husband.  My mother used to order bags of fabric pieces "suitable for quilting" that appeared to come from a clothing manufacturer.  Some were more suitable than others.  She ordered patterns from "The Family Herald" but this other paper came after this one.

Happy sewing everyone,
Gloria P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Mill Quilt Guild's March Meeting

 Monday March 18th, 2024 Show & Tell Orphan Blocks quilt for our guild by Joyce N. Joyce made a beautiful NB scenes quilt to be raffled ...